View Single Post
Old 11-02-2008, 06:56 AM
Administrator

Default A Question on Pre-War Postcards

Posted By: Greg Theberge

I was wondering if anyone has an answer to this. It has to do with the many many pre-war postcards out there, both baseball related and not, that picture unusual subject matter, subject matter that does not necessarily meet with mass appeal which one would consider normal for a postcard meant to be purchased and mailed by the general public.

While it would be natural to find, purchase, and send a postcard depicting a Boston scene if one was staying in Boston, or one that pictures Cinderella's Castle if one was visiting DisneyWorld, how, or why, did postcards depicting unusual subject matter come into existance? Were they meant to be sold to the general public? Were they sold in large quantities? Or, were they simply a variation of a photographic image, much like a cabinet card, but with a different background and never meant to be sold to the general public and only to the subject in question? (In other words, instead of a printed picture with Kodak on the back in today's world, they simply had a postcard backing)

For example:

While it would be natural to see the reason one would find this card:

Finding this card sold to the general public would seem less likely due to it's limited appeal:

And why anyone would have printed and sold this card if it was meant to be sold to the general public is completely beyond me:

(two guys drinking beer in what appears to be a landfill)

I thought David might have some insight on this question and hope that others may as well. Thanks for your time.

Greg