View Single Post
Old 01-06-2009, 06:12 PM
Administrator

Default O/T - best all time

Posted By: Rhys

One comment on the Gretzky thing. With all due respect, comparing him to any other hockey player is like the Babe Ruth argument. He is so obviously the best hockey player of all time that people sometimes like to go against the masses and look in another direction. Dont get me wrong, I think Bobby Orr revolutionized the way defense is played in the NHL and is the second best player of all time. But to say Orr was better because he made those around him better is ignoring that Gretzky did the same thing, but to higher level, (look at his assist totals) and made his team better by taking a crappy team and winning twice as many Stanley Cups as Orr despite playing in an era with more teams. He held 40 NHL records when he retired. He is pretty much the reason anyone South of Canada cares about Hockey (or at least used to) and is the only athlete besides Jackie Robinson to have his number retired by an entire league. I really like Bobby Orr, but this argument is not even as close as the Cobb Ruth argument.

I know that most people on here dont care about hockey, but being from Maine and growing up with all things Hockey, this to me is the easiest choice in the entire world of Sports debates.

Rhys