Thread: HOF Debate
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2009, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Default HOF Debate

Posted By: Chris Counts

Rob,

This is a familiar topic that pops up on this forum every year at about this time. Personally, I enjoy the debate, although it can get a bit contentious. I'd add Dave Bancroft, Joe Gordon and Ross Youngs, among others, to the list of borderline inductees. On the flip side, I have actively campaigned for the induction of Minnie Minoso and Ron Santo. But I believe the biggest issue here is the inclusive versus exclusive argument. Many folks on this board argue there should be not more, but less Hofers. Others, probably the minority (I fall into this category), would like to see more inductees. Ultimately, I would just like to see positions (where are all the 3rd basemen?) and eras (1960s and 1970s) better represented in Cooperstown. I know there were a lot of great and HOF-deserving players who played in the 1920s and 1930s, but I find it hard to believe they were any better than those who played in the 1960s and 1970s, when batting averages and ERAs were so much lower (which makes it difficult to simply compare stats). I'll just feel a whole lot better if they put Minoso and Santo in while they're still alive ...