View Single Post
Old 02-09-2009, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Default E121/E122 Unusual Card **Opinions Needed**

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

Well, I picked up a card the other day of Ferd Schupp that upon first glance appears to be an E121 (Series of 80) card of him but it just looked strange so I bought it. I get it today, and I am kinda unsure what to make of it. The card has been graded by SGC as an E121 Series of 80 (grade 50 VGEX).

The card appears to be a mix of both the E121 set and the E122 set. Please see scans below, I am sorry for the size of the scans but I wanted to show detail.

The front of E122 cards were simply reproductions of E121 cards with a new border added and a "screen" appearance given to the photos (kinda ugly cards but that is the charm of them). The Schupp has this screan appearance but obviously has a more "E121-like" border, but the team name is in all-caps which is unlike either.
[linked image]

The back of the card is pretty obvious that it appears to be an E122, as the last line is in the stylized font only found on E122's and the TOUGH E121 Series of 80 Type 3 back's--and it appears identical to the E122.
[linked image]

It seems to me that this is actually an E122 card where they added the name/team/position on the border/screen that was added above the old E121 card.

Does anyone have any opinions or other E122 cards they can confirm have this appearance? Any help is appreciated.

-Rhett