View Single Post
Old 03-27-2009, 09:45 PM
Administrator

Default Others selling fakes of your cards... Do You care?

Posted By: Dan McCarthy

1) I think that you/we should definitely care that this guy is selling bogus cards, as it just chips away at the integrity of the hobby even more... between the obvious reprints, forged autographs, and now cracked and modified PSA holders, it's a shame that you need to question everything you find. That said, if someone spends $2500 on a reprint that obvious I wouldn't feel too bad for them. If I were purchasing something for that amount of money that I had little knowledge of, I'd definitely consult someone first. Asking a vintage card board like this one about authenticity of a card like that is no different than having a mechanic inspect a used car before purchasing or consulting online reviews before buying a new computer or TV. Hopefully any potential buyers would have the common sense to do that.

2) Kind of annoying, but I wouldn't find it too big of a deal. I think (legally) anyone could use that image for whatever they want, since it should be in the public domain (note: neither a lawyer nor law student). However, it's understandable that you'd be upset that someone is reproducing a one-of-a-kind item.

3) I'd certainly contact him, but I don't know what I'd say or how I'd phrase it.