View Single Post
Old 06-04-2009, 09:00 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Hello D.,

Nice pin, I've seen them before but do not have one myself (doesn't really fit my collection). The image was originally taken by Frank N Tomlinson in early 1888 (April). The 1888 team photo seems the rarest of the three years (1886, 1887, & 1888). Detroit had pin-stripe uniforms that final year (you may or may not be able to make that out on the pin). I do not have access to my reference material but I can identify all the players with fairly high confidence (Mark got most of them):

Rowe, Conway, Hanlon, Beatin

White, Sutcliffe, Brouthers, Gruber, Thompson, Ganzel, Baldwin

Getzien, Twitchell, Watkins, Richardson, Bennett

On a parallel, within days of this team photo, Baldwin, Conway, Getzien, Scheibeck (not in team photo), and White were photographed by Fearnaught Studio (Indianapolis). These images would be used by Goodwin and Company in 1888 to introduce these players to the Old Judge baseball card issue.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers