View Single Post
Old 06-12-2009, 03:29 PM

Hello Mike,

I don't have the exact answer you are looking for, but I am on the Canadian side of the border, and can share my experience with you.

Choice of Shipper: For me, always USPS (which operates in conjunction with Canada Post on our side of the border). The worst is UPS - they charge outrageous hidden "brokerage" fees. FedEx charges them too, but a lot less money. Deliveries to me from USPS/Canada Post have never had any such fee.

Duties: Canada and the US have certain free trade provisions designed to eliminate most "duty" charges on items made (note that it is where the item is made) in either the US or Canada. Other countries of origin for products can cause problems. With sports cards, I have not been charged any "duty" in many years.

Taxes: This is where it can get complicated. On items coming into Canada, our governments (both Federal and Provincial) are rabid about getting their slice. On items we receive from the US, they treat it as though you bought it in your home province (thus the tax I owe on delivery is 5% of the assessed value of the item as Federal tax PLUS 7% of the value of the item as Provincial tax...total 12%). I cannot advise you as to how much - if any - tax you have to pay on an imported item.

Hope some of this helps!

All the best,

Blair

Last edited by Bosox Blair; 06-12-2009 at 03:31 PM.