View Single Post
Old 07-22-2009, 03:33 PM
Andy Broome

Default B18 grading

I am sorry for the delay in response. It is week before National and I have been quite busy!
As many of you know, we introduced our large size holders just last year. Our new holders have opened
up many new opportunities for us such as postcards, T3's and B18 felts to name a few.
My experience with the blankets is different from other tobacco issues. While many if not most card issues I collected I also had experience with buying and submitting them for grading, the blankets was not one of those issues.
It is no secret the only true way to gain knowledge is hands on. Handling cards and learning the intricate details of a specific issue that separate a near-mint card (or blanket) from a mint example are invaluable in professional grading.
That being said, I will be the first to admit I am stronger in some issues than others. I can run circles around some in certain issues : ) and others I have not handled as much. The B18 is one of those issues. I have had a couple of dozen of the years, most being fairly low in condition but that was before the dawn of “oversize grading.”
I did want to comment of a few aspects that seem to be common with the blankets.
Stitch marks or holes from where these were stitched together to make blankets and pillowcases which, I believe was one of the intended purposes for these, are considered to be a significant defect. This would be similar to stitch marks found on silks. I believe a 2 would be the highest grade possible for a B18 with stitch holes.
Staining, fading and fraying are other serious defects found on B18s. Eye appeal is important on these and the fading really takes away from the eye appeal.
Staining is much like on any issue and again takes away from eye appeal. Obviously stains were not meant to be found on these and I believe these were not in direct contact with the cigarettes. Other than the adhesive strip that bound these, these should be stain-free.
Fraying is not as common as on silks so when it happens on a blanket, it would be considered to be a severe defect.
That being said, I believe some of these defects need to be taken into consideration when grading these because of material and age.
I do believe full color border all the way around is what you are looking for when shopping B18s. While size can vary on these, one must remember that these were cut when making blankets, pillowcases or whatever early 20th century mom was crafting from her cigarette premiums so the size tolerance is in question. At what point is a blanket “undersized?” 5-1/4” each way is the published and ideal size.
Alterations are another area of concern with this issue. Without giving an “Alteration Primer” here, this is something else to discuss.
Again, this is a “new” issue to grading. I am not so naive to say I know it all and I am always trying to learn more about card issues. I would love to discuss this set with B18 collectors to get a feel if we are on the same page and what you guys think about the grading of these felts.
Any B18-heads going to the National dinner?

Andy Broome