View Single Post
Old 08-30-2009, 02:08 PM
Seth

Leon, I would say closer to 400 than 200 in your range, and maybe a bit more, though you're right it won't be a $1000 unless they're in much better shape. Obviously the HOFers cost a mint in whatever shape. There are quite a few in real beater condition from a single find, if I'm not mistaken, and they are all recognizable by a hole in the top and the same sort of moldy markings all over (I also think most have some pencil writing on them; they are all obviously recognized).
I bought two of them from an REA auction, and it cost a touch over $900 with the juice. If you're looking for beaters, you will find a bunch in this condition from the same find. I would say that they usually run about $350-550 if they're graded; I doubt you could get one for as low as $200 unless its raw and with significant back damage, just my 2 cents.

But it's a great set both in terms of history and appearance. I say go for it, why not! Even when you eventually give up, you'll be left with some great cards that are easily resold, as it seems to retain its popularity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Item_9935_1.jpg (33.8 KB, 246 views)