View Single Post
Old 10-17-2009, 12:43 PM
Frank Wakefield

I liked Silent Service, Dnieper River Line (I think that's what it was), Pirates was fun... and somewhere I got something that I think was called Campaign Manager. It simulated running around in the 50 states, fundraising, campaigning, doing ads, in a presidential election. No fancy graphics, but the game seemed fairly well thought out.

And I enjoyed the Avalon Hill games of Midway and B-1 Bomber. There was a 3rd game about nuclear war that they did, your country was a little grid, each round you could build a missile site, a nuclear sub, strategic bombers, or eventually ABMs. It was very simple, yet interesting. I rewrote the code for B-1 Bomber and created what I called "Backfire Bomber" with a Soviet bomber coming in toward New York or Washington, it was easy to do using the B-1 Bomber framework.

I recall one of the early safeguards to slow hacking was to have several "delete"s after the name of a file. So the filename might be FOX, which would then be F-O-X-deletekey-deletekey-deletekey , and with that if someone tried to list the files on a disk the FOX file wouldn't show up on the screen at all... But, if you had a printer (seldom attached to a gamer's C-64) you could print the directory and see F-O-X-deletekey-deletekey-deletekey , it was low technology piracy protection. Those rascals.

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 10-17-2009 at 01:22 PM.