Thread: FedEx is aweful
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2009, 09:19 AM
Tom Boblitt

SORRY..........LOOOONNNNNGGGGG...........

I've been with UPS for 25+ years and I can honestly say I've never seen her in any of our centers. I would GLADLY go back to operations if I could manage a group of employees such as that conscientious driver.......that aside........

I think the only company that doesn't dump and run is the post office.....anything over $200 or anything sent registered has to be signed for I think. They're actually pretty good about that. Anything over $500 UPS is SUPPOSED to be signed for and I think similar for FedEx.

It's nice to hear someone disparage FedEx for once. Usually it's people piling on UPS. All companies have their issues. UPS delivers about 14 million pkgs per day, FedEx about 6, and the post office much more if you include FCM (First Class Mail). There are going to be issues. UPS has drivers that deliver all types of volume.....Next and Second Day air and ground. FedEx has Express which are the purple trucks that deliver air only. They are employees of FedEx and paid as such. They have FedEx ground which are the green trucks and also includes 'FedEx Home Delivery' which schedules deliveries with you. These folks in the green trucks are independent contractors.

Actually they're employees and treated as such but FedEx skirts all the labor laws.....oops....you guys don't want to deal with that.........

I think you definitely get different service from the Home Delivery/Ground guys at FedEx as I have stuff delivered that way too occasionally. You will pay for it but my thoughts are to ALWAYS have high value stuff shipped through Air services if you're using FedEx or UPS. They are touched by way less people in the process and handled generally better than ground. Premium price for a premium service.

Ed H said use a PO box but remember the only people that can deliver to a PO box are the post office. Both FedEx and UPS will not ship to a PO box even though both carriers are now carrying FCM and Priority and Express mail on behalf of the post office. Maybe someday you'll be able to ship UPS and FedEx to a PO Box but not for the forseeable future.

An alternative that I know Rob D uses is a UPS store or Mailboxes Etc or other type of mail receiving type service that'll receive packages from UPS/FedEx/DHL/USPS/etc on your behalf. It's generally more than a normal PO box--probably 200-300% more--like $15-$20 a month but it might be worth it if you get a lot of stuff and don't want to have to go to your local post office between 0830-1630 to pick up and sign for an insured package OR try to find the local UPS or FedEx office which are typically tucked away in an industrial park in the most out-of-the-way place in your city.

Insurance is a risk--especially on some of the stuff we ship. I'm not completely sold that ANYONE will pay claims quickly and accurately, including Registered mail if there are problems. Outside insurance might be the best way to go if you ship a lot or receive a lot. Not sure what CIA (Collectibles Ins Agency?) or the others do to insure packages shipped or received and how you would file claims with them. Usually with FedEx and UPS, you can insure for more than $500 and have it covered if it's not a one-of-a-kind item or if it can't be replaced. The bad thing with both is that they'll take your package and charge you the insurance but then might deny a claim. If you ever file a claim, never take no for an answer from the first person. They're just like other insurance, you gotta go up the ladder sometimes. UPS uses an outside company to examine packaging and other things in assessing a claim. I'm sure FedEx does as well.

Last edited by autograf; 12-02-2009 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Apology for length........