View Single Post
Old 01-28-2010, 03:01 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Where have all the Cobb HINDU's gone.....?

......a long time....waiting for them ? ?

OK, I have received numerous inquiries regarding all four T206 Cobb's with respect to Brown and Red HINDU backs. The following
is my observations on this subject.

[linked image]

This story first starts with the KIMBALL Factory (#649) in Rochester, NY. For it's history and it's Tobacco products, checkout
my earlier thread on Net54. During the T-card era, Factory #649 was considered "state-of-the art" with it's modern cigarette
manufacturing machinery.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...hlight=kimball

1st.....in 1909 American Litho. selected 35 existing SWEET CAPORAL 150 (Factory #30) subjects and modified their backs by
over-striking them and adding "Factory #649" in order to transfer these T206's to the Rochester plant (to be inserted in their
Sweet Caporal cigarette packs). Major HOFers in this subset include....Bresnahan, Griffith, Johnson, Lajoie, Marquard & Matty.

BUT, NO COBB ?

2nd.....simultaneously, American Litho. was printing T206's with Brown HINDU backs and shipping them to Factory #649.

But, apparently the two 150 Series COBB's (Green Portrait & Bat On) were not targeted to Factory #649 ?

3rd.....by early 1911, American Litho. extended the two 350 series Cobb's (Red Portrait & Bat Off) into the 460 series. Of the
41 - Red HINDU's that are known, guess what 2 subjects are missing....THESE TWO COBB's ? ?

4th.....subsequently, the 1911 T205 set, Cobb is found with 6 different T-backs, but not with the Factory #649 ones (HINDU
and HASSAN).

I cannot explain why Cobb cards were not inserted in Factory #649 cigarette packs. Perhaps, we will never know why. Any-
how, this pattern of Cobb "No Prints" is telling us something and that is.....to be very skeptical of any T206 Cobb cards that
have either a Brown or Red HINDU back.

I may be wrong on this observation. But, it should surely stir up some controversy.

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 01-29-2010 at 06:25 AM.