View Single Post
Old 02-03-2010, 10:48 PM
James Gallo

Default Indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post
might want to think about even IF you could work in the hobby, your passion for the hobby might become dilluted. It is much more fun to work a day job and enjoy the hobby on the side...
Although I don't exclusively do cards, I have sold collectibles (comics, action figures, cards) my whole life. That is what I did in collage and when I got out. I am still doing it now, almost 10 years.

It isn't all it's cracked up to be believe me. When your self employed there are a lt of issues you don't think about and you will get jaded.

Once you have seen, sold or handled all the "rare" stuff what else is there. I think you would find out that your hobby quickly becomes a job, maybe slightly more enjoyable but the pressure of never know if a sale will come, putting out a lot of cash for inventory and lack of a steady income can totally ruin a person.

I have seen a lot of dealers burn out and I think the only reason I still can do what I do is that I move into different areas both in dealing and collecting. That still keeps things fresh and interesting and when I enter a new hobby I am not the aged veteran but the young gun again.

I would love to get a job for a company in development, always new and fun, might get boring at times, but everything does.

I think the big trick is to see what is around you and work at it. If your close to Topps or another card company try to get your foot in the door and see where it goes. Tough road but I wish you well.

James G

Last edited by JamesGallo; 02-04-2010 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Spelling