View Single Post
Old 02-15-2010, 10:52 PM
Rob Miller

Default It is possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post
[As you know I am putting together a 1970 Topps set in VG-EX condition. I was able to more or less cherry pick up via trade/purchase 3/4 of the set. It has been inexpensive and incredibly fun. As I said, all depends on the set, and the condition. If I cared about cards being EX-MT to NM I could never have picked up my Munson RC for $10!!

To me this doesn't answer the question as to whether or not it would have been cheaper to pick up a VGEX or worse condition '70 set by just purchasing it outright at $400 or piecing it together?? Also, as you've stated the first 75% is always the cheapest...Wait till you have to find a Mickey Lolich #715 for under $8
I won't disagree that most of the time it is probably less expensive and easier to buy a complete set. However, in my example I was able to pick up a large chunk of commons from that set for 10-20 cents each in VG-EX condition. And that was done at a card show, so shipping is a moot point in this example. As far as stars and semi stars lots of them can be found in $1 bins, or you can get lucky and pick up a few on EBAY from the same seller and save on shipping that way.

Again, I am missing some high numbers including Nolan Ryan, but the total amount of money I will have spent on my 1970 Topps set is far less than $400, and the set is extremely presentable.