View Single Post
Old 03-30-2010, 05:09 PM
Dan Paradis

Default Impossible to determine year of issue?

I spent a couple of hours researching some of the players in the set.

I believe that it is impossible to accurately determine the year of issue by looking at the cards. The biggest reason is the drawings of the players are not accurate enough.

However, based on the players socks I would guess that these cards were issued in 1919 (see below). I don't believe they were issued prior to 1917 based on the information below regarding Milan and Judge.

I believe that the starting date range of 1916 is based on one card: Home Run Baker. He joined the Yankees in 1916 (from Phil) and his uniform clearly has N. Y. A. on his chest. If you looked at his socks it matches the 1919 home uniforms (the previous years the Yankees had solid socks).

You would think the Ed Konetchy would help nail down the exact year of issue. However, the only possible clue is his socks. They don't exactly match any of the 3 possible teams. If I were to guess I would say they were from the 1918-21 Brooklyn uniform (their uniform did not change from 1918-21).

Even though Babe Ruth didn't change teams I believe the 1919 or 1921 uniforms (socks) are the closet match to his card. They are 2 colors, although not the same colors. The other years the Yankees socks are solid.

Joe Judge and Zeb Milan were with Washington during the entire period in question. Both of their socks on their cards appear to be 3 "stripes".(although not in the same order) Washington started with 3 stripes in 1917 and stayed with them through 1920.

I'll keep looking!

Dan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Baker.jpg (78.1 KB, 371 views)
File Type: jpg Konetchy.jpg (76.8 KB, 372 views)
File Type: jpg Ruth.jpg (75.0 KB, 374 views)
File Type: jpg Judge.jpg (75.3 KB, 369 views)
File Type: jpg Milan.jpg (64.1 KB, 369 views)