View Single Post
Old 05-21-2010, 01:30 PM
Fred

Well, should we start a list of what could be changed to make things better?

First off, if things change then that puts all previously graded cards in question and it also provides an opportunity for the TPGs to make more cash for a cross-over to the "new" standards.

1 - There are really NO industry standards therefore it's kind of like comparing apples and oranges at times. Well, maybe not that bad, lets say comparing a "golden delicious" to a "granny smith" apple.

2 - Take those numerical grades and shove them. Do a job called authentication don't provide numerical grades because it's SUBJECTIVE and there's just too much room for "subjective" error. I know the registry people won't like this because then they can't claim to have "the HIGHEST" graded set or card. What a bunch of putzes... (just my opinion - sorry if I offended you because you're a putz). How the hell can a card that is graded a 10 be worth $10,000+ more than the same card that is graded a 9? Especially when the 9 could be resubmitted and someday become a 10. I guess anyone STUPID enough to unencapsulate a 10 would deserve the enormous drop in perceived value of the card that was set free from it's plastic coffin.

3 - Create two categories: AUTHENTIC and ALTERED.
AUTHENTIC would indicate the card is real and unaltered. People can build on this if they wish. Should there be "qualifiers" such as MK for cards that are marked? Should there be a CRS qualifier for cards with creases? Anything but OC because I think people can distinquish what is OC and if it's really that far OC then don't buy the card if you don't like the OC condition. Do you really need someone to tell you the card is OC? Also - NO numerical grades. Buy the card, not the number on the label.
ALTERED would indicate the card is trimmed, colored or otherwise altered. Have the grading company list the alteration on the label. If this takes more time then have the grading company CHARGE for this and if the customer doesn't want the ALT label then the card can remain unencapsulated.