View Single Post
Old 06-01-2010, 11:30 AM

Thanks Tim, I think the time spent reading that article was well worth it. I have always been fascinated with the era of World War One, not only because of the War but because of the era itself. Perhaps that's why I love collecting cards from 1909-1919.
One other note on World War One and how the times have changed, some for the worse, some for the better, on the last day of the War, knowing that the Armistice was about to be signed at 11:00 a.m., allied officers sent their men in to bloody combat that morning to secure land which they would have been able to have walked in to that afternoon. The appalling slaughter was horrendous. Some officers refused to order their men in and were courtmartialed and faced possible execution. General John Pershing and his subordinates ordered the men in and more soldiers were killed on that last morning than the total amount of men killed during the D-Day invasion in World War II. Unbelieveable insanity. When relatives of the soldiers back home slowly but inexorably found out, many Congressmen wanted to investiagte the matter and condemn Pershing but politics prevailed. Doesn't it always? How do you condemn men who have already had mounments and statues built in their honor. Thank God some things have changed for the better and insane bloodbaths like the one on the morning of the Armistice may never happen again.
Something to reflect on on Memorial Day.

Last edited by tbob; 06-01-2010 at 11:33 AM.