View Single Post
Old 06-22-2010, 09:07 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Craig W.

Regarding your......
"....is based on a sample of the population rather than the entire population of T206's ever produced, this
mutual exclusion principle (for 350/460 Series, fronts with AB460 backs will also be found with Uzit backs,
but won't be found with BL460 or Red Hindu backs) "

From an engineer (EE) to an engineer....my "mutually exclusive" rules (AB 460/UZIT vs BL 460/Red HINDU)
are not simply based on the sampling of certain populations of T206 cards. The more significant factor that
I based these rules on.....is timeline.

We have American Litho. (ALC) documentation that dates the printing and release of the UZIT cards to the
Spring of 1911. The AB 460 cards were destined to Durham, NC (Factory 42); therefore, they were printed
simultaneously with the UZIT cards. I am suggesting that sheets of T206's (comprised of approx. 30 cards)
with the same fronts were printed with both these backs.

Prior to that, in the Fall/Winter of 1910, ALC used sheets of T206 fronts (comprised of approx. 30 cards) to
print both the BL 460 and the Red HINDU backs on them.

Furthermore, the 30 subjects on the AB 460/UZIT sheets complemented the 30 subjects of the BL 460/Red
HINDU sheets. Of course, this scenario applies only to the 55 cards in the 350/460 series and the 6 super-
prints. Certainly, the absence of any of these 6 super-prints with AB 460 and UZIT backs serves to support
this theory.

Craig

The Nicholls (batting) card was intended to be a 350/460 series subject; so, this is why this card was
printed with an AB 350 (No Frame) back. However, upon being traded to Cleveland, Nicholls ended his
Major League BB career on April 25, 1910 and returned to his farm in Maryland. Therefore, it is fair to
conclude that ALC did not print his card with any 460 series backs.

Also, I don't think by stating that these cards do not exist with an AB 460 back, that collectors will be
less likely to look for them. There are always a number of guys out there that are motivated in finding
exceptions to the rules.....and, that is fine, it's the American way

TED Z