View Single Post
Old 08-21-2010, 12:15 PM

Default Tons of Newbie Questions.

Warning this will be long and full of stupid newbie questions. Even I advise you turn back now. First off Ive always enjoyed reading about the players and stories of the early years of baseball and Ive collected postwar cards on and off for 25 years since I was little, now Ive just broke into some prewar stuff and i have tons of questions so I firgued instead of making 20 threads Id just post them all here.

Just a little background that might make answering any questions easier. I will have no ryme or reason of what I will collect, it will come down to just what I like and so forth. i dont see myself trying to complete any sets to anything like that. Also I will be on one of the smallest budgets on here. Im in the process of selling off most of my newer stuff and most of that will go into older cards but after that if I get to spend $100-$150 a month that will be a good month.

1. Interested in any other Web sites, Books, Magazines, catalogs, etc. Will be trying to soak up a lot of knowlege in the coming months and any fingers pointed in the right direction would be appreciated. Also I know there has been a website talked about on here that helps to show what to look for with fakes I just cant remeber the name of it.

2. I know Im never going to own a Young, Ruth, Cobb, Jackson etc. But what are if any sets or types that might have an affordable Rogers Hornsby, Mel Ott, Jimmie Foxx, Christy Matthewson in a lower grade.

3. I know fake PSA graded cards pop up but what about fake SGC holders? Also what is the most fake or reprinted sets? (33 and 34 Goudey?)

4. Who are 2 or 3 trust worthy sellers on Ebay that even if the cards they are selling are raw I dont have to think twice about them not being real? Also on the flip side who are a few that i should watch out for? (PM me on either count if you dont want ot throw the names out in the open).

This is enough for a while and should get me started. Anyone that made it this far, thanks.