View Single Post
Old 09-22-2010, 04:32 PM
Banned

Default Going old school: screw-down holders

I recently bought the low-grade T206 Lajoie pictured below, which came in one of GAI's sealed plastic sleeves used for low-value cards. The other Lajoie pictured was purchased ungraded. Because of the way I store all of my Lajoies in a safe-deposit box, I didn't want to run the risk of having these unprotected. I also had no desire to get them graded.

Given how many unused screw-down holders I have left over from the 1980s and '90s, I figured to put two of them to good use. I know the cards don't look as nice as they would in an SGC holder, but paying $6 each plus shipping just for aesthetics isn't something I felt like doing right now. Plus, again, all I want to do is protect these from becoming damaged. Which leads me to my question.

I read all the time posts that convey that very thought ... "I got this low-grade card graded only to protect it." So why not go the screw-down route? I know the horror stories about torquing the screws too tightly and damaging the card. But if you put the card in a plastic sleeve and don't go crazy with a screwdriver, I don't see damage being done to the card. Or can it?

I probably wouldn't put a high-grade or a card with significant value in a screw-down holder, but am I missing something in thinking this is an OK way to go in certain situations?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nl1.jpg (38.9 KB, 471 views)
File Type: jpg nl2.jpg (48.5 KB, 466 views)