View Single Post
Old 09-26-2010, 09:11 AM
Richard Simon

Default It's still a game of memories

My most important piece, not espcially valuable, hardly in mint condition, having been in my pants pocket throughout the game.
1999 NLCS Game 5, home game 3, the Robin Ventura Grand Slam single,, Mets Win!!
The greatest game I was ever at (better than Bunning's perfect game even) and I was there with my son. We still talk about it to this day, the joy, the screaming in the stands. The Mets needed just a fly ball from Ventura to win and when the ball left Ventura's bat I knew the game was over and turned to my son. Hi fiving, cheering, shouting, hugging. I did not know until later that the ball had cleared the fence and Ventura did not get credit for a HR due to a baserunning gaffe.
Years later, my son, in the course of his job, interviewed Shawon Dunston. Dunston had led off the bottom of the 15th inning with one of the greatest AB's we had ever seen. He fouled off about a dozen pitches before singling to start the two run rally which would win the game. As soon as my son told him that we had been at the game, Dunston just lit up. Telling my son that the 1999 Mets were such a great team and one of his favorite teams to play on.
--
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ventura-HR.jpg (56.5 KB, 427 views)
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 09-26-2010 at 09:16 AM.