Thread: Cards Passed Up
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2010, 04:11 PM
M!ke S@il£r

Default Great Topic

When I was a freshmen college, I would periodically peek into a local coin shop that dabbled in cards. I enjoyed looking at the 1960's Mantle and Mays cards. One day, there was a decent conditioned T206 Cobb and a yellow Goudey Ruth in the case. It was the first time I had ever seen either of those players in a baseball card (way before the Ebay days). The owner wasn't real interested in either item, but received them in some large estate purchase of a coin collection and simply wanted to get some quick cash. He listed the Ruth for $1,000 and the Cobb for $300, but told me I could have them both for $500. Not having a current job or much money, I left the store to sleep on it. By the next morning, I had figured out a way to come up with $500 and drove down to the shop, but was told the cards were sold about 20 minutes before. It doesn't seem like such a big deal anymore given how many of these cards are available, but I was certainly kicking myself for a number of years for that hesitation.