View Single Post
Old 11-23-2010, 02:05 PM
Dave

This is why I try not to deal in a lot of autographs. I do handle them in my field but turn down a large majority of those I am offered.

As a general question to what people's thoughts are:

What are the circumstances in which a seller is obligated to give a refund to a buyer on an autograph?

#1. PSA says it's bad

#2. JSA says it's bad

#3. PSA says it's bad, but JSA says it's good...........or visa versa.

#4. You're one of these "knowledgeable" dealers..........but PSA or JSA says it's bad............or "questionable". Others, possibly a few posters on NET54, says it's good.

#5. PSA or JSA or both says the autograph is good..........but certain posters on NET54 think it's bad.

Since PSA and JSA only give "their opinions" and are not monetarily on the hook for a "bad opinion"....are the opinions of the dealer allowed to be taken into account if "their opinion" does not jive with that of the 3rd Party Authenticator in regards to a refund.

I guess what I'm getting at................is who has the final say? Is every autograph ever signed in question, until such time somebody, somewhere says........."This is no good", and then whoever has it at that time is left holding the bag? Or whichever dealer touched it last?

I know of a couple major dealers in my main field of "Boxing" who have decided that "They" have the final say, because they don't trust the 3rd Party Authenticators anymore, and will not give refunds based on their conclusions.

The claim is that these 3rd Parties do not have the experience in boxing and there is just too much evidence of them passing bad autographs and rejecting good autographs. Or more to the point............deeming them "questionable" because they just don't have the answer, and causing buyers to decide "questionable" is the same thing as "Not Good".

Let me be clear..........I don't have the answers here and am not on one side of the fence or the other. I reject most autographs that come across my desk and limit myself generally to low end autographs, for the most part because I don't want to deal with these particular questions myself.

I'm Just curious on where the line is drawn.