View Single Post
Old 12-04-2010, 10:52 AM
Ed Woelfle

Default Soaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio_Collectibles View Post
OK, forgive my ignorance here but isn't soaking a bad thing? I assume that soaking is to removed dirt & stains, but by doing that, isn't it altering the card. How is it any different than say, using a power eraser to clean white bordered cards. After soaking, wouldn't you have to Iron or Press them to get the water out? That would possibly remove any creases and also press the card outward and make it slightly oversized. What's to stop you from trimming it at that point.

Ed, I understand that these are cards for your personal collection most likely, But what happens when you pass away and someone else gets the cards. How will they know the cards have been soaked?

Just curious, I've seen many people get jumped here when discussing "altering" cards. So what's the difference in this case?\

~OC
OC, I understand your point, but I personally disagree in that a card stained, written upon, handled by greasy fingers, gets dirty over time, etc can also be construed in one form or another as altering (negatively), so isn't the idea of soaking more to clean/correct/reverse this? You might otherwise clean other collectibles in order to maintain and improve their quality and appearance, I don't see much difference here.

I don't know about ironing and other avenues to remove wrinkles, I don't think to or take it to that level. Soaking to clean - you don't have to do any of that to get the water out other than press between a couple hard cover books in a clean dry cloth and let dry. And trimming (in my book) is something altogether different. I know that many collectors/sellers soak their cards and I'm totally fine buying or trading for them.

I just don't see it as altering in a deceptive/artificial way.

I know this galvanizes strong opinion on both sides and I respect differing view points. Thank you (and Frank) for your feedback, I truly appreciate the thoughts and opinions from the Board.

Ed