View Single Post
Old 12-06-2010, 09:06 PM
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawika View Post
Mark: I cranked up the scanner to 1200 dpi in order to get a better look at the scoreboard. You can see the partial scores of the day's games although it's difficult to distinguish zeroes from other rounded numbers like 3, 8 etc. Seller only indicated circa 1905 so I can't even be sure of the year. Assuming that the Baltimore player is the pitcher, the Orioles only had three lefties from 1903-1907, one being Fred Burchell who may or not may be this guy.

I was born in Chicago in 1950. You too? We left in '51 and thereafter have lived in five states and three provinces of Canada. I might as well have been born in the back of a Greyhound.
That's very cool. Based on another photo I have, I'd say there is a fair chance that is Burchell.

Toronto got 4 in the bottom of the 4th against Newark. In the Providence Buffalo game, Buffalo got 3 in the bottom of the 1st, Providence got 3 in the top of the 3rd. Jersey city got 3 in the top of the first, 1 in the 3rd and it looks like 2 in the 4th against Rochester. That is probably enought to figure this out. I'm thinking Eastern League box scores would be in The Sporting News, available on line from Paper of Record I believe.

Yes I was born in Chicago, same year as you.