View Single Post
Old 01-04-2011, 01:30 PM
David McDonald

My non-scientific first impression of this picture and some random thoughts: Yankee baserunner advanced (sacrifice fly maybe) to third. Throw late and off, no need slide. Maybe a triple. Who knows? Dugan had five in '26. Either way ump had time to position himself clear of the play. Is it Dugan? Looks like a burn victim to me or the guy from The Scream. Guy just to the right of runner's left knee has gotta be the pitcher; you can even make out the mound. Either that or the first sacker is eleven feet tall. First I thought he was a lefty based on the black blob at his right knee - that would have made it either Whitehill, Wells or reliever Johns. Then I considered that if it were his glove he'd have had to have had Marfan's Syndrome - arms would be abnormally long. Probably just a patch of dark background and so much for the "lefty" theory. The Detroiter making the play at third? Tavener is listed as having been 5'5". Our guy looks taller. Warner is listed as 5'9". Can you make this thumbnail of Warner equate? Nose looks more like Tavener. Mark F. would accuse me of hallucinatory wishful science if I said I thought it was one or the other. Jacksons got one thing right: This is fun!

Jack Warner per Baseball-Reference.com