View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 11:11 AM
Bob Beck

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesphan View Post
I think Ebay charges about 9% in selling fees, which is not much less than consigning, particularly if you negotiate down. Also, on Ebay, unless you have a good selling history and noted DSRs, you may not attract a good set of bidders. I do not think Ebay is the best avenue here unless you are already a Power Seller. I would recommend consignment.
I do agree that the powersellers do better on ebay (ebay's fee scale is sliding on the percentage they take. On higher priced items like the Ruth's, Gehrig's or block lots they only take 4% (final bids over $1,500), much better than the 17.5- 20% from auction houses, plus that does not include the sell side commission unless you can negotiate to 0. I am tainted because I have had some awful experiences with auction houses including one house that lied regarding sending payment and admitted it, identical Ruth signed photos in the same auction in another, an item that was sold and then went for $1,400 more a few weeks later on ebay by the dealer/buyer (Low population 1962 PSA 8 George Witt). I can go on, those are the breaks. You win some and you lose some. I guess the point I am trying to make to this potential seller is that the market is a bit soft on these issues and giving it to an auction house would have dealers drooling. I follow the Goudey market religiously. Auction houses are great for many items but it is a crapshoot with goudeys and batter-ups. Why not protect yourself? Their is actually an ebay seller who has reasonable rates and outperforms many auction houses (prewarcardseller). He has a tremendous following. That may be another option.

Last edited by bbeck; 01-06-2011 at 12:43 PM. Reason: spell