View Single Post
Old 01-24-2011, 04:16 PM

As a kid, I collected heavily from 1974-1980. During this time, "rookie" cards were broken up into the small panels of multiple players where you could hardly see the player. I disliked those cards. (I guess Topps did this many other years also).

Even in the late 70s when players like Fred Lynn, Jim Rice, Griffey Sr., Gary Carter, (who were depcited on those rookie panel cards) were emerging as stars, I thought of those tiny panel cards as much less desirable than a "regular" card.

I think most felt the same way. If you look at the Beckett price guide, even as late as 1980, there is really no premium for rookies, even the "non-panel" cards like 1975 Brett and Yount.

I still kind of feel the same today, but no hobbyist can avoid the wave that occured in the early 80s over rookies, even though I lost interest in collecting at that time.

Now I am interested in cards again, and I appreciate the panel cards more now but it is still ridiculous how overpriced all rookie cards are. Rookie cards are interesting and I can see why they are somewhat more desirable, but I will never understand this extent this happened.