View Single Post
Old 02-13-2011, 12:17 PM
Rick P

[QUOTE=Exhibitman;871059]That is really interesting; I wonder what its relationship is to this, i.e., whether it was a coordinated program of premiums or part of a series or just random promotions:

I thought the same thing when you recently posted the picture. Since Max's reign as champ only lasted a year (June 1934 - June 1935), this was likely issued by the same printer at about the same time as the Ruth photo (which we know was issued in 1935). Quaker Crackels cereal was gone shortly thereafter.

Boxing matches drew the highest ratings of all radio broadcasts in the 1930s. Wheaties offered a premium puzzle of Jack Dempsey in 1933, and in 1936 Sunshine Rippled Wheat offered a Dempsey booklet and a signed photo, which may or may not be that sweet diecut advertising piece.

Here's a little-known Max Baer story. Goodrich was to sponsor the broadcast of his title fight against champion Primo Carnera on June 14, 1934. With public interest at a fever pitch, Goodrich launched an NBC radio show called "TAXI", about "Al Harper", a cab driver with ring aspirations. The actor playing Harper, believe it or not, was Max Baer himself! The fictional story was told in only ten broadcasts airing from May 11 to the conclusion on June 1. The distraction from training didn't seem to matter. After knocking out Carnera, Baer was approached in the ring for comment by NBC announcer Graham McNamee. Max's broadcast response was "Sure, Graham! Folks...AL HARPER WINS!" I couldn't believe my luck when I scored this huge Goodrich advertising poster a few years ago.

Last edited by Oldtix; 02-13-2011 at 12:37 PM.