View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 09:32 AM
Paul

Default Just some things to keep in mind

Long-Term Aspirations. If you collect cards solely based on the holder or autographs solely based on the LOA, then you will run into a ton of problems eventually. Whatever you collect, you had better be confident that when the old grading/authenticating companies eventually run their course in however many years from now, that whatever grading/authenticating company that becomes the gold standard will feel comfortable slabbing/authenticating whatever you collect.

False Positives vs. False Negatives. The biggest hit I've seen on JSA with respect to False Positives has been the Sal Bando incident. I would be quite interested to see more of these "gotcha" moments, if you can find them. If there were more, I am sure they would be well publicized. Instead, what we have here are a series of "gotcha" false negatives, based on JSA's apparent prejudice against another grader. Sort of like if SGC refused to even look at PRO crossover submissions. Now, while I can somewhat understand that philosophy, I agree that JSA should take the time to look at everything for the fee they are charging.

For whatever it's worth, most of my signed collection is in SGC/JSA holders. Virtually my entire collection has come from 3 or 4 different sources, which I trust from a provenance standpoint. The signed cards that do not come from those sources were "double authenticated" by PSA/DNA and SGC/JSA before I purchased them. If another autograph authenticator becomes the industry standard, I will endeavor to have my entire collection crossed over. This is one of the reasons I have never understood collecting PSA by the POP -- I do not believe that PSA POP will always mean what it means today.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 02-15-2011 at 09:37 AM.