View Single Post
Old 02-16-2011, 09:16 PM
Howard Chasser

Default My 2 cents

Quote:
Who says JSA and PSA are experts? Why... JSA and PSA!

(And Barry... we use realtors because realtors have created the system of home buying and selling. They create and have access to the magical listings. Just as, for many, many things, we use lawyers because we let lawyers create the system that makes them necessary.)
Could have quoted any number of comments to start, but this seemed like a good one. IMHO - the self proclaimed "expert authenticators" have created the system that makes them necessary. As much has been said I will try to make a few succinct points (all my opinions of course):

1) Biased intention aside what JSA did here is at least extremely poor business practice and deserves the highest levels of criticism, questions and scrutiny. If this is how they "authenticate", they should be out of the business.

2) I think the model used is a GREAT way to test autograph authenticators - In person signed pieces should be submitted multiple times to the same authenticators after having been submitted to a different authenticator. Throw in some clear forgeries for good measure with a "good" authenticators cert to test in the other direction as well. Develop some needed percentage of accuracy to be a "certified" authenticator - hey a whole new business model - authenticate the authenticator.

3) Chris Morales has deservedly no respect from any educated collector

4) Caveat Emptor - Like any purchase it is up to the individual to educate him/herself to a level of comfort to make the purchase. If you rely completely on others (who have not earned that trust) then you will likely be burned at some point.

5) PSA has some well deserved criticism here as well - just heard from a friend who cracked a "6" resubmitted and received an "8" - "objective grading standards"? - Not so much!

6) A) Buy the card not the holder. B) Buy the autograph not the cert/opinion!

7) It is too bad that all of this "3rd party" involvement is not at a higher standard as I strongly believe many who could have been active hobby participants have been "burned away".

-Howard Chasser

Last edited by hcv123; 02-17-2011 at 09:02 AM.