View Single Post
Old 02-21-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBirkholm View Post
Witt and Vuckavich aren't tough autographs. Both have done multiple paid signings. They get expensive when you're looking for the "perfect" piece, however. They can be a real pain for collectors of signed sets of gum cards.

For a non-HOF player who has already autographed a ton of material, Vuck certainly charges enough to sign. "Expensive" certainly doesn't equal "rare" in his case. He has a touch of the Dr. Mike syndrome.
Jodi, I agree that there Vuck is not a "rare" sig, but he is a tough signer present day. I am a Pirates season ticket holder (insert comment here, I know), anyways, I have seen him at events and know people who run into him, and he just doesn't sign for free to this day.

Kind of like Lynn Swann. My wife and I were at a fundraising dinner for him right before he officially announced he was running for Gov. of Pennsylvania. We got there early, and literally it was me, my wife, Swann, and l3 or 4 other couples and the wait staff. He came over and talked to us as nice as can be and posed for a picture with us. I didn't even ask for an autograph because: 1.) I know how he is and 2.) as big as an icon he is, I just don't really get into that sort of signature.

Anyways, one of the waitresses comes over, piece of paper and pen in hand and asks him for an autograph. His reply: "Ma'am, sorry, I don't sign autographs. If I sign one for you, then I'd have to sign one for everybody here."

The poor gal looked around and it was just me, her, my wife, and Swann. Not another soul was around us and nobody else would've noticed if he signed something for her. She shrugged her shoulders and left.