View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkereversandme View Post
I have never purchased an item at fixed rate (eBay) because nothing is rare anymore (it seems) and I will always see it later on or get it cheaper in an auction. Sad to think that way but there all the catalogs I get agree with my assessment of the current state of collecting.

Regards,

Larry
Larry, with all due respect, there is still a lot of rare items out there to be had. Just a few moments ago, I was looking at a respected dealer's fixed price listings on eBay. He had upwards of several hundred items that could be considered rare if not one-of-a-kind. Over the years, I have taken advantage of numerous fixed price/Buy-It-Now items on eBay b/c of rarity.

I am not one to show off pieces in my collection, but I can think of 5 things off of the top of my head that I purchased on eBay that I know would sell for way more in several auctions.

As someone who both buys and sells on eBay and buys from/consigns with several auctionhouses, I can speak from experience when I say this: Sure, there are items that can be had cheaper at auction, but in a lot of cases, there are way more "steals" on eBay. Having the time and patience to search eBay really pays off.