View Single Post
Old 02-24-2011, 05:48 PM

Default Armando Galarraga

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakjr View Post
Scott, I got a question for you. Since you collect autographs of no-hit pitchers, are you, or aren't you counting Armando Galarraga? I've been thinking about whether or not to count him in my perfect gamers.
Hi David,
FWIW, in my book Armando Galarraga ABSOLUTELY makes the grade as far as being a perfect game pitcher. Anyone that can get 28 outs without giving up a baserunner should be in the record books! I believe that it's a crime that he isn't going to be listed in the record books along the other 20. If not for the horrible blown call by umpire Jim Joyce on the 27th out he would be there.

That being said, I believe that the uniqueness of what this game became to all that followed the story (outstanding character and sportsmanship demonstrated by both Galarraga and Joyce) makes this one for the ages.

BTW, my personal collection of no-hit tickets and autographs includes these players that threw 9 innings of perfect game ball, but don't meet the absolute of what currently defines a "perfect game":

Babe Ruth/ Ernie Shore
Harvey Haddix
Pedro Martinez/Mel Rojas
Armando Galarraga

As an aside, I actually wrote to the Commissioner of Baseball, Bud Selig the day after the Galarraga "almost perfect" game. I was shocked that he took the time to respond back to me. I have since had both Armando Galarraga and umpire Jim Joyce also sign the letter.

Remember to always collect what you personally enjoy!!

Last edited by Scott Garner; 02-24-2011 at 05:56 PM.