View Single Post
Old 03-10-2011, 05:15 PM
Rich Klein

Default Even long before I got to Beckett

It was well known that a group of cards were far more easily available in the 7th series, if you read old old hobby news papers, you will see ads for those 10 cards (Carew as a RC was not usually included) and thus I'm perfectly comfortable with the double print information.

Single prints are tough, but I don't know if they are always *AS* tough as you think -- some of that is due to a bizarre distribution pattern of 67 Hi Series cards --- I have heard from several long-time hobbyists that the St Louis area got a ton of those cards -- which makes sense since they were deep into winning the NL pennant that year.

Interesting, that same St Louis area got very few of the 6th series (*semi-hi). I remember my 1st sale at the 1984 National -- close enough to my house where I could bring a ton of inventory -- was a dealer buying me out of all my 67 semi-hi cards. The internet has changed some of that regional shortages,

Dan McKee tells a story about his dad giong to a show and walking out with 9 1967 Topps Brooks Robinsons and I remember (none of these were better than VG) picking up 9 Mike Shannon's at a show in NJ for $1 each. There is also an old hobby story in an Trader Speaks about a dealer circa 1979 selling 80 Tom Seaver RC's @$12 per to another dealer.

I think some of the single prints in 67 may be slightly tuffer to find -- but there is no doubt in my mind that the cards indentified as TP's (or DP's) are exactly that.