View Single Post
Old 03-24-2011, 02:11 PM
Steve Birmingham

Yes, like bad pennies the items could be turning up again and again. Some are only similar to previous ones, and I suppose if I cared I could keep track.

The sellers are expressly allowed to bid on their own stuff? That's
A) Pretty stupid. Pay for your own item+ buyers commission, and get back the bid less the commission? So probably close to 40% to set your own reserve? Stupid. Next consignment, just send me $50 and keep the item at home.
B) It's shilling.
C)It's shilling.
D It's .... you get the idea- Maybe.
Shilling is illegal no matter what the reason. There are only a few times it;s allowable, and those usually involve the items not actually being yours.
Of course it's done often by having a friend bid, which is hard to prove, but still illegal.

I don't "know autographs" But a few minutes online finds examples of most. From very reputable sources. And usually they don't look much like CC items.
So either every museum and dealer around has been taken in by poor fakes, or the CC stuff is largely fake. I'll even omit the stuff that has certs that was signed by people that died years before the item existed. And still these non- expert eyes tell me that most of that stuff just looks wrong.

If you truly believe it's nearly all real my advice would be to buy as much of it as possible. Get a cert that might get some respect. And auction it for 10X as much. If you can prove that to someone money wouldn't even be a problem. There's still venture capital out there. If I thought it was real I'd be doing just that. (I don't, and I'm not)

Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringking View Post
With the items in CC auctions. How do you not know if they are the same items showing up over and over and over again?

They allow the seller to bid on their own items as they don't set reserves.

You really don't know if some of the Babe Ruth items showing up are not something that ran in the auciton last month, 6 months ago or even last year.

You sit behind your camera and bash every item they have, and just say, it's fake because this person says it's real.

What are your creds? Other then "you know autograhs"??