View Single Post
Old 04-14-2011, 10:34 PM

Thanks for the replies and insights. I need to put together a sound plan for selling cards first as I want to downsize and specialize to some degree. I also can't really afford to add much until I generate some collecting capital. I think I want to focus on completing the sets from the years that I actually bought packs as a kid ( 68 through 74 ). After that I would work backwards through to the early 60's. I would also (at some point) work on football and basketball from the same years.
My initial selling plan would be to use Ebay as I am an experienced seller and buyer there as I have dealt in vintage toys(slotcars,trains,Matchbox,Hot Wheels,model kits...etc...)for quite a while. I just have a feeling that trying to sell cards will be quite a bit different than what I am used to. I would be selling mostly baseball with some FB and BB thrown in, 1950's through the mid 70's with lots of oddball stuff also.
I want to sell some graded items, but would prefer to work with ungraded items. Is it a reasonable expectation to try to do so? Or am I asking for a lot of returns, possible switches on returns, and just general problems with buyer's remorse. I would plan to included quality scans of the front and back of all cards in the descriptions.
Any advice will certainly be welcomed here. Any sellers of ungraded cards please let me know how you successfully do this. I am not here just to learn about selling cards, but I think I need to start here as most future additions would be funded by some of my present collection. I really need to get a handle on grading and how to deal with it.
Again, I hope that this all makes some sense as I am sort of overwhelmed with the differences in collecting now v/s then and just the scope of my present collection as I get back in to it. Thanks!