View Single Post
Old 05-21-2011, 09:39 AM
Steve Birmingham

In my limited experience UPS is very hard to deal with at all. I had a couple items years ago that I figured on shipping UPS. One was a standup victrola that had been cut down to tabletop size, the other an obviously broken but collectable early home computer. They made me open both boxes "to see if they're packed correctly" The victrola they refused because they said it was an antique and they couldn't be sure of what it was worth, the computer they refused because it wasn't in its original styrofoam and box. When I pointed out that neither was worth even close to the $100 minimum value that all packages get and that I had auction results which are usually pretty solid proof of value - I think it was $80 for the victrola and 30 for the computer- and that the computers styrofoam was likely thrown away by a previous owner in 1983 and would have become brittle and useless anyway.. They still refused to take them falling back on the "it's policy" excuse.

The Post office took them no questions asked.

A friend of mine has had a couple claims on victrolas sent through the post office, and if it's properly packed, insured, and the value or cost of repair is provable - and they accepted the Ebay auction printout on one and an estimate from a victrola restorer/dealer on the other- They paid the claim in a reasonable time. I think they said 8 weeks and actually paid in 4-5 both times. He did have to show them the packaging of the broken one at a main post office.

If I sell something expensive I usually pick up the insurance myself. If 3-4 dollars profit on a $1-500 item is a deal breaker than I've got ot wrong already. Cheap things I usually don't insure, the post office is good enough that I'll risk a few dollars.

Steve B