View Single Post
Old 09-10-2011, 10:31 AM
David Pierson
Banned

Default One Super Find!

In 1985, in a junk shop outside Detroit (They sold washers dryers stoves furniture etc) I asked if the old woman had any sportscards. Barely speaking english, she scratched her head and went into a little office to return with 2 shoeboxes covered with 1/2" of dust and tied with string. I peeked into a corner and saw a 52 bowman mays. Closed the lid and asked her how much for the boxes. She asked how much you pay? I said 10 bucks each. She replied "no no no" I want 20 each......i feigned reluctance and paid 40 bucks. I was shaking all the way home. When I got to examine my treasure there were near complete sets of 52 bowman some 53 topps 54 topps and then a few years were missing and the second box had minty 58 59 60 and 61 topps. there were 28 58 mantle all star cards (triple printed) The best card was a 1961 mantle all star that eventually graded psa 10 (at that time the only 1) I couldn't sleep for days and had to get up several times everynight to see if it really happened. All those doubles I used as tradeto complete my many sets in progress at the time. It was fortuitous because within a year it seemed there was a sportscard store on every corner. dave.