View Single Post
Old 09-12-2011, 03:53 PM
Frank Wakefield

It happens because humans are involved... their presence in the slabbing process brings randomness to what otherwise would be slab perfection.

Maybe the slabber knew better and just made a mistake. Maybe he had no idea and did the best he could. Maybe he was reading about Ruth and Dunn and got the Dunn's mixed up. Maybe someone submitted it as Jack Dunn and the slabber fell for it.

If the BIN wasn't so high I'd consider buying it. It's crossed my mind more than once to sell off a bunch of cards, then focus on a collection of slabbed cards where the slips are wrong. I'm not talking about a mistake in grade, or a crease or spot overlooked... I'm talking about making a mistake about the set, the series, the player's name, or the pose or variation misidentified.

I liked the line a few days ago where someone bristled a bit at the use of the word raw, and preferred 'pure' to describe unslabbed cards. I've decided that natural might be the way to describe them. I collect natural cards, not those that have been altered by slabbing.