View Single Post
Old 09-19-2011, 10:32 PM
Larry

Default Eye appeal vs technical grade

We did a nice thread about eye appeal versus technical grade back in May of this year, with lots of insightful comments. If you search the archives, it'll pop up. Generally, eye appeal counts for a lot now, and I think its becoming an even stronger value factor with time. I'll throw out a high-end example: Both myself and an advanced collector on this board have 1907 Dietsche Cobb Fielding Position cards, which are not only Cobb rookies, but significant rarities, each graded EX. Jeff's however, has significantly better eye appeal, and certainly would carry the day with regard to $$ generated when it comes time to sell (which I would prefer doesn't occur with my card until my estate sale!). Someone also recently posted a nice enough 1926-1929 Exhibit Grove in VG-EX, but I personally would take my own in VG due to its four strong corners and my personal opinion concerning eye appeal. Don't let it surprise you if ultimately, a card with a lower technical grade brings a higher price than one with a higher grade, if the former had significantly greater eye appeal. If you think the card is unsightly despite that its slabbed in a fairly highly grade holder, chances are the next guy you hope to sell it to will think the same way. Trust your instincts!

Happy collecting,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 09-30-2011 at 01:59 PM.