View Single Post
Old 09-30-2011, 12:38 PM
Larry

Default '54 Wilson Franks & Cobb

The last time I checked the PSA pop report on the '54 Wilson Franks Williams there were a total of around 112 graded by PSA alone (although only 30-some in ExMt or better). While I'm sure that the SGC pop would be much smaller (I don't have access), that's still enough that they are available if you really want one in mid-grade, and if you miss one, it won't be too long before another comes along. The same softening has happened with the similarly scarce '52 Redman Williams (120-some graded, with tab attached, last PSA pop report check). In what is undeniably a somewhat tough market economically, these types of items feel it much more than something like the T210 Joe Jackson in VG+, which went for $200,000 in the last REA auction (with a PSA pop of 8, as I recall). With regard to the latter, it might be quite some time before you see another, and the sheer number of people that want one and have the means to go after it is substantial, compared to the available supply. Same with something like the e107 Waddell, which just went for 10K in the Huggins & Scott in just PSA 1.5. Both Williams cards will recover nicely, IMO, with better economic conditions over time. It's a very good time to buy, if you have the heart for it in a falling market--got my '52 Redman Williams in ExMt almost a year ago for a very acceptable price!

Coins experienced the same basic phenomenon, with items that were in fact desireable but not outright rare suffering price-wise much more than those that were far rarer and perhaps more significant in down markets. These kinds of items also recovered nicely when the next up-cycle hit that market. Coins have gone through virtually all of the trends we've seen with cards, but with about a 120-year head start on us, in terms of an organized market.

Sean, I love Cobb, and I heartily agree that that tough old son-of-gun would certainly have hit .400 quite a few more times had he been closer to his youthful prime when the lively ball era began. He would have been something like Sisler before the sinus infection (in an era without penicillin) adversely affected his vision--two .400+ seasons in a three-year span (1920 & 1922). But the fact remains that comparing his runs created per 27 outs to the league average takes the conditions you cite into account, since everyone played under them in that era. Absolutely fantastic hitter--I can just picture him slamming line drives to all fields (check out his career doubles and triples!), or laying a drag bunt down and beating the throw to first handily, to keep the infielders honest.

Best always,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 09-30-2011 at 12:53 PM.