View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Here's the ultimate companion piece (for me, anyway...)

I've had the original Willard Mullin Illustration of the Bum for quite some time. A big/beautiful image of the infamous Brooklyn Mascot. But just recently I was lucky enough to find the original Sporting News issue in which this drawing was featured.

Icing on the Cake is that this drawing was used to grace the Cover. Aside from the great Mullin tie-in, the articles within this Sporting News Issue are very intriguing. Among other topics, it discusses Jackie Robinson's thriving career in the minors, and his chances of making the "Big Club". It also discusses the possibility of a 168 Game Regular Season Schedule (which apparently almost came to fruition).

Very interesting reading, and a purely lucky pickup for me
What a tremendous find Mark!

I'm very happy for you my friend. That's quite a rush when you discover a piece like that that enhances your collectible ten fold. Am really pleased that you found that Mark. I can't wait to see how you display the both of them.

I have a sweet Babe Ruth/Lou Darvas original sketch that I've been searching for the Sporting News or the Cleveland Plain Dealer newspaper for ten years now with no luck yet. Your post has given me new hope!

Regards, Jimmy