View Single Post
Old 11-23-2011, 06:34 AM
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abravefan11 View Post
If Ruth played during the same era as the prominent T206 players, and was included in the set, his value would be among the players of equal comparison but wouldn't command an absurd premium. His card would more than likely fall in line with Cobb, Johnson and Mathewson based on it's availability.

Wagner, Plank, Doyle N.Y. Nat'l and Magie's value are all due to their scarcity in relation to other cards in a highly collectable set. If Ruth were included, and short printed for some reason, than his card may have an excessive premium based on it's scarcity and player notoriety. Otherwise he would be a top tier HOF'er and not command much more if any than the other notable players of equal stature in the set.

Had Wagner and Plank not been short printed and produced in common numbers they may bring a slight premium over Cobb but not much.
Well Tim,
I disagree with just about everything you wrote.
If the T206 was Ruth's rookie card I think it would be on par or exceed the value of the Plank and be behind only the Wagner and Doyle in terms of value. Heck the M101-4/5 Ruth is quickly catching up to the Plank, it's readily available and it's from a far less popular set. The Ruth would dwarf the Mathewson, Johnson , Young etc.

Also if all the cards were produced in equal quantities Cobb would sell for more than Wagner and Plank not the other way around
Jut my two cents on this hypothetical what if.