View Single Post
Old 12-23-2011, 07:02 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default Gets Better

Thanks again Brandon (and thanks all) for your opinion and knowledge, I really respect(went on to your Site, now I need to buy one of your books, do you show balls from that ERA in therr and can I paypal u the money for one if so, or how do I get one?).

Ok, so I barely got any sleep being so excited so I go onto Baseball Reference again and I had no idea you can click thru and see the actual boxscores of game on there, whatta Site.

So look at that attached of what it showed about my new favorite prewar player, who I never heard of prior to yesterday Lew McCarty. His only at bat in the Polo Grounds in the Series was pinch hitting in the bottom of the 9th.

So I am just stunned seeing this. I am just picturing this in my head. The White Sox were up 3 games to 2, they lead going to the bottom of the 9th 4-2. HOFer Urban Red Faber is on the hill, he hits the 1st batter in the bottom of the 9th, if he doesn't hit him, in retrospect, McCarty doesn't get a chance to pinch hit. Just amazing. Tying run now at the plate. I can feel the tension and excitement of the Polo Grounds fans.

So man on 1st, Faber gets the next 2 batters. Next up is the pitchers spot, but McGraw inserts Lew McCarty in his last hope to save the Series for New York. McCarty grounds to HOFer Eddie Collins to Gandil. Series over. Does Gandil then flip this ball to McCarty?????

I know I obviously can never prove, but believe me 2012 will be dedicated to buying old newspapers & magazines from that Series. I just wonder if that was baseball ettiquite back in the day, when the game was over to flip the ball to the home team. Or was, as he was known a tough mean SOB, Gandil being a jag bag and flipping the ball to him as a show of victory over the defeated Giants.

And what if McCarty came thru and the Giants rallied(top of the lineup would have been up next) and won, forced a game 7, and won. Then do Shoeless Joe and the boys throw 1919 since they then wouldn't have had a Series under their belts.....ok I'm dreaming and rambling.

I took the ball to work with me today, I'm fixated, we're gonna have lunch together : )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Game6Box.jpg (69.2 KB, 463 views)
File Type: jpg FinalOut.jpg (71.9 KB, 464 views)

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 12-23-2011 at 07:28 AM.