View Single Post
Old 12-27-2011, 09:40 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Weisner View Post
Hi guys,
You can find dozens of examples of cards with "changing" backgrounds.... From clouds, and sunsets to "Doves" that appear on some cards while not on other's... It's amazing what the volume of ink can do to a card... I wish I could post some scans, but I'm not at home at the moment.
Be well Brian

PS The Ritchey card is one of my favorites.... as well as the Matty above...I have over a dozen dark cap Matty's with different backs and some with the "Halo" effect and some without... I'll try to post some scans when I can...
True, Brian, but the Matty is a bit different - intentional (in my opinion) change in the color usage, not simply a different amount of blue ink in the background.

By the way - this should not surprise anyone. There are several T206 cards where the design was changed only slightly - why? Given cards like the Chase (white vs black cap), Bender (trees/no trees), Mordecai Brown or Evers (jersey)...we could go on and on....it shouldn't be a surprise that at times the designers would take a far simpler route and get a new look by simply changing color distribution, especially with a superprint (tm) card like the black cap Matty that had a better chance of one design getting stale.

Last edited by Runscott; 12-27-2011 at 09:43 AM.