View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012, 03:16 PM
Justin Cur.ze

Default 1948 Leaf

I think the coolest set is the 1948 Leaf set and I collect that exclusively. For several reasons:

1) - The cards look like pop art. Like Andy Warhol or something. They are all these crazy colors, and on the front it only lists play names. Not the team or position or anything else appears on the front and they're not even "photos."

2) - The horrible registration (which is NOT taken into account for the most part when graded by the companies) is just another element of card value. Usually, corners, centering, wear, creasing, etc. are the main elements. With this set, you also could have a PSA 5, but the card looks like tar because the print registration is way off. On the other hand, you could have the same card in PSA 2 with horrible corners and edges but spot-on registration. It gives the collector different "reasons" to go after certain cards. You don't have only "grade hogs" in this community

3) - It's expensive to compile, and hard because of the SPs. Anything worth going after should be a challenge and you can't just go out and complete the set in 2 weeks.

That's my take!