View Single Post
Old 01-05-2012, 01:12 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakhappy View Post
Scott...not to be crazy about the johnson grade, but I do think that the WoJo would be more fitting in a 2.5 holder instead of a 3...too nice for a 2, but not quite a 3? Another reason SGC should have half grades in the lower portion of their grading system
If I owned it, I would not complain about the grade. I just thought I'd flush out some opinions about corners and miscuts grading. I recently picked up a nice, large group of SGC 40's and 30's, and it was very interesting to see representative cards at both ends up each grade - horribly rounded corners on a no-gloss card that got a 30, then another 30 with strong corners and pack-fresh gloss that also got a 30 due to a single horizontal crease.

That's why when someone agrees to buy/trade a card from me based solely on a grade, without ever having seen the card, I make them look at a scan first. Maybe they don't care, but if you like cards, you need to get used to looking at them.

Regarding the nice way the slabs stack/display - that's all fine, but there is so much you will discover about a card once you are looking right at it - gloss, lithography detail, etc. Even my horrid eyes pick up a lot. They look better out of the slab.