View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 09:37 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Good post! The last one is a repro (which the seller discloses). Mitchell & Ness made a bunch of different ones, and that pennant definitely falls into that category. These originally came with a paper hang tag (sewn to the binding) which could simply be torn off and detached. Some unscrupulous sellers would detach the paper, and pawn these off as original. I have seen a few sell in the $400 - $500 range (to buyers who can't tell the difference). I have even seen a few turn up in auctions like Huggins & Scott and Legendary. To Legendary's credit, they removed the pennant after I notified them it was a repro.

The biggest tell-tale sign is that the graphics are not painted on. They have more of a "raised velvet" technology. They look nice, but are never original. The painted graphics should be hard to the touch... not soft. Please note that these Mitchell & Ness Pennants were not originally made to deceive. It's the dishonest re-sellers that have done that.

There are other reproductions that DO have painted graphics. After time, you just learn what's right and what's not. They just cannot replicate the old ones 100%. Plus the felt is different on the reproductions. I don't have time to write any more now... you just have to learn as you go. Forums like this are great for asking questions (just as you did). And you can slowly build a knowledge base from that. Spotting reproduced pennants actually becomes an instant and routine procedure, once you've got about 6 months of experience under your belt.

Best of luck... it's a wonderful and under-rated (IMO) segment of the hobby!

Last edited by perezfan; 02-08-2012 at 09:43 AM.