View Single Post
Old 02-18-2012, 12:17 PM
J.R. Lebert

Default Awesome Finds! 1945 Yankees Opening Day Ticket! Landis / Wrigley Postcard

Hey all, I figured this was the right place to post this, although I am not sure.

I recently bought a huge box of old postcards at a garage sale (maybe 500 postcards), and after going through the whole box, I kept two things from it, and gave the rest to my friend.

The first, I found another picture HERE of a different postcard that is almost the same, but not. I have no idea the year, or value, and any info would be greatly appreciated. Mine is unused, but creased.

Judge Landis / William Wrigley, Jr. Catalina Island Postcard

The second, I am pretty sure, is a used 1945 New York Yankees Opening Day ticket, from April 17, 1945. Did a little research on the game, and it was a New York Yankees win over their rival, the Boston Red Sox, 8-4. It was the major league debut for 4 players: Ben Steiner (2B - BOS), who had a HR, SB, and 5 total bases, and three players who played just one season (1945) in the bigs, Fred Walters (C - BOS), Otey Clark (RP - BOS), and Yankees SS Joe Buzas.

Hall of Famers Joe Cronin (BOS) and Joe McCarthy (NYY) were the managers, as well as Cronin slotting himself 5th in the batting order.

Atley Donald got the win for NYY, and Rex Cecil took the loss for Boston. Jim Turner got the first of what would be his 10 league leading saves for the Yankees.

Another neat note is that two of the umpires were long time major leaguers, George Pipgras, a member of the 1927 Yankees (as well as two other WS winning Yankees teams), and Eddie Rommel, 3rd all time with 171 wins for the Philadelphia Athletics, including 27 in 1922, and the 1929 WS.

Any info and pricing on either would be greatly appreciated! Shoot me an email at jrlebert@gmail.com if need be.

Also working on a 1951 Bowman Baseball set, free of gum stains.

Last edited by jrlebert; 02-18-2012 at 08:45 PM.